Based on Cory Glenn’s Dental Town Post ‘Cory Glenn’s Implant Pearls and Products‘.
If you have a Dental Town login you can see the discussion here: Dental Town Message Board
- CBCT planning and guided surgery will save you money by decreasing the time needed for surgery, making your surgeries more precise, decreasing the need for lots of inventory, and making your restorative costs more predictable.
- CBCT planning and guided surgery will make you more money through increased case acceptance, more referrals, giving you confidence to tackle more cases, and by helping determine which cases will be complicated and/or less profitable
Dr Glenn writes:
Which Implants To Use
Everyone’s titanium integrates……. some just integrate much cheaper!
- Use a value branded implants with a good track record like Blue Sky Bio (my favorite)
- Use a conical connection with a platform switch
- Use implants with aggressive threading
Reduce Your Risks: Failures are the Kiss of Death
- Flap everything you can and bury the implants with primary closure in a 2 stage approach.
- Flap rather than punch at uncover to gain keratinized gingival by rolling it to the buccal
- Avoid immediate placement until you’re very experienced. I suggest grafting all sites with Maxxues 50:50 Mineralized/Demineralized FDBA ($51 for 0.5cc) mixed with Fusion Bone Binder (Woodland Hills Pharmacy) and covered with a collaplug in single rooted teeth or a Cytoplast TXT-200 Nonresorbable membranes ($40) in molar sockets
- Stick with shorter implants (8 and 10mm lengths). There’s almost no value in a longer implant unless primary stability is of the utmost importance (ie immediate and single staged implants which you’re not going to do…… right!?
- Stay 2-3 mm from anything with a name (inferior alveolar canal, mental foramen, etc)
Tips to do More Implants
- Learn to do conservative crestal sinus lifts. 30% of all potential implant sites you encounter will need a sinus bump or a sinus lift.
- Buy a CBCT. Having to refer out for scans creates a much bigger barrier than you realize. Most dentists find that the number of implants they do doubles once they get CBCT in office.
- Plan cases in front of the patient. The purpose is twofold: you will be able to confidently tell them whether you can do the case and what it will cost right then and there. It also creates a significant “wow factor” when your patients see you using this level of technology and planning.
- Lower your prices. Price is your gas pedal. If you want to do more, step on the gas and lower fees. A routine single tooth placed guided takes me an average of 2 hours total time and 3 appointments from start to finish. Even by charging a bundle fee of $2500, you’ll still generate over $1,000 an hour.
- Offer in house financing: Implants are perfect for financing since they won’t get the final product for several months after starting the process. Not staying current with payments? No implant crown for you!
- New to Blue Sky Bio? Listen to this webinar to learn more about the company, the owners, and their products. http://www.blueskybio.academy/public/New-to-BlueSkyBio.cfm
Recommended Product List for Guided Surgery
- Blue Sky Bio Software https://blueskybio.com/pages/download-software
- Dental Mark Cone Beam Radiographic Markers- 7-8 of these are be placed on the denture prior to scanning the patient. https://blueskybio.com/store/cone-beam-markers
- Radiopaque Barium Sulfate Acrylic 12%- for making radiopaque denture scan appliances.http://www.anaxdentusa.com/acryline-x-ray-dvt-powder-12-barium-sulfate/
- Blue Sky Bio Single Cut Drills- These are recommended when using the single drill guided surgery protocol. They are also the same drills that are in the BSB basic surgical kit so if you have a basic kit, you have a guided kit. If you are buying them individually, there is a particular drill matched to each size and type of implant. https://blueskybio.com/pages/bio-cut
- Surgical Guide Tubes- These are precisely matched to each particular drill. https://blueskybio.com/store/guide-tubes
- Guide fixation pins for use in full arch cases. https://blueskybio.com/store/guide-fixation-pins
- Blue Sky Bio Academy for live or online training in basic and advanced guided surgery and case planning
- Live courses: http://www.blueskybio.academy/public/Hands-on-Training-Level-2.cfm
Online membership: https://www.blueskybio.academy/public/5.cfm
Read Full Post on Dental Town Including:
3d Printing Labs…
What you will need to get started…